• Award Image
  • Award Image
  • Award Image
  • Award Image
  • Award Image

Protect Your Family, Protect Your Children, Protect Your Home.


If your home has lead-based paint, cockroaches, bed bugs, rats, wood rot, water leaks, mold, no heat, inadequate security or other health and safety defects that have harmed you and your children, you may have a claim against your landlord. Slum housing is not only cruel and immoral, it is illegal and poses a real danger to you and your children.

Grant Riley and the attorneys at Riley Ersoff & Shakhnis have successfully sued slumlords on behalf of people just like you. We have recovered millions for tenants that have been forced to live in dangerous and toxic apartments and rental homes. We can help.

If you have been ignored and mistreated by your landlord, call us for a free consultation. No recovery, no fee.

Attorney Image
  • I would 100% recommend that you go with Grant Riley. He's a great lawyer, if you have questions, they are quick to respond. My experience was wonderful.

    - Maribel Salinas
  • I appreciate how fast the process of the lawsuit was. It was really helpful that more than one person came to our home and explained everything step by step. We also appreciate the fact that we had a translator for our family. We are very happy with the outcome of the lawsuit.

    - Jocelyn Tlaxca
  • I would like to thank Grant Riley and the members of his law firm. I am very happy and would recommend this firm to anyone. They had great representation and I really really appreciate the help they gave us. Thank you Grant Riley!

    - Williams Family
  • I am grateful to the attorney Grant Riley and his team at Riley Ersoff & Shakhnis. Thanks to him and his team, today I am enjoying my new home with my family. I could move out from the ugly apartment I was living in. Riley Ersoff & Shakhnis was always aware of all questions and doubts that my family and I had. Thank you Riley Ersoff & Shakhnis.

    - Yanali Cruz
  • Working with Grant changed our life for the better. We don't have cockroaches any more. My children used to have a lot of respiratory issues, but since the apartment was renovated, my kids do not get sick. After the lawsuit, the landlord keeps our apartment in good shape. Mr. Riley was like a guardian angel to us.

    - Rosa Ibarra
  • When my son was diagnosed with lead poisoning, besides being crushed, my husband and I did not know what to do on the legal front. We knew we had been wronged and our son badly hurt, but we didn't know any lawyers who could handle our case. We researched every personal injury attorney in Southern California with a specialty in toxic poisoning and they all said the same thing, that the case would take more than a year, we would both have to give up our lives and work on the case almost full time, the most we could hope for would be $50,000.00 and too bad we didn't live on the East Coast. Then we got incredibly lucky and found Grant. He got us $2,500,000. The case took 6 months. He maneuvered every complicated hoop. He took a personal interest in our case and in our family. He was truly saddened by what happened and concerned for my son. He's smart, he's passionate about who and what he represents and he's relentless. I truly don't know what we would have done if we hadn't met Grant.

    - M.R.



Can I Sue My Landlord Even If I’m Not a Legal Resident or Citizen?

| Read Time: < 1 minute

Absolutely!  Your citizenship or residency status is NOT RELEVANT in connection with the prosecution of a civil action!  If your landlord has abused you and your family and has allowed your family to live in a dangerous, uninhabitable apartment building that has any of the following defects, please call us – we can help! * No heat * Bed bugs  * Cockroaches * Deteriorated lead-based paint * Water leaks  * Sewage leaks Gas or carbon monoxide leaks * Mold or water damage * Rotten floors  * Broken windows * Rotten or broken cabinets Your landlord cannot retaliate against you for complaining to the housing department.  Your landlord cannot report you to ICE.  Your landlord and their lawyer cannot ask about your residency or citizenship status.   You have every right to file a lawsuit in California if you’ve been harmed by a negligent or careless landlord.   The attorneys at Riley Ersoff & Shakhnis have represented hundreds of low-income immigrants just like you.  We can help and we care.  Please call us at 888-492-7317 or contact us using our contact form!

Read More

Can I Sue My Landlord if My Child Has Lead Poisoning?

| Read Time: 3 minutes

Exposure to and ingestion of lead-based paint can cause severe neurological and physiological harm to young children. Unfortunately, deteriorated lead-based paint in older rental homes and apartments remains a huge problem in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland and other cities and towns in California. Deteriorated lead-based paint in homes built prior to 1978 is the primary cause of childhood poisoning.  Anywhere from 50-87% of homes built prior to 1978 contain lead-based paint. Lead-based paint can become deteriorated through the effects of weather, age, friction and impact.  Old, wood painted windows and doors that are subject to friction and impact from repeated use can wear down and generate dangerous microscopic particles of lead dust that your child can ingest through normal hand-to-mouth behavior.  Lead-based paint that can become exposed and form dangerous lead dust particles over time – even if covered in “safe” paint that does not contain lead. If your child was exposed to deteriorated lead-based paint, you should speak to your child’s pediatrician immediately. Your child’s doctor can check your child’s blood lead level with a simple capillary or venous blood test.  If your child has an elevated blood lead level, and it appears that it was caused by exposure to deteriorated lead-based paint in your rental home or apartment, you may be entitled to significant financial compensation. The attorneys at Riley Ersoff & Shakhnis have decades of experience handling catastrophic personal injury cases.  We have prosecuted more lead poisoning cases than any other firm in California. Our dedicated attorneys and staff are available to answer your questions, provide you with a free consultation and help get you the compensation you deserve.  Lead Poisoning Causes Serious Long-Term Mental Health and Physical Harm to Young Children Exposure to deteriorated lead-based paint, lead dust, lead in soil or lead in water can lead to serious and permanent health problems in young children.  Blood levels as low as 3 mcg/dL can cause neurological harm.  Although rare, blood levels as high as 75 mcg/dL can cause serious convulsions and death. Children who suffer lead poisoning can suffer from neurological and behavioral problems including: Loss of IQ Attention Deficit Disorder Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder Loss of Executive Function Borderline Intellectual Functioning Oppositional Defiant Disorders Juvenile Delinquency and Aggression Children who are exposed to and ingest deteriorated lead-based paint and lead dust can also suffer from long-term physiological problems including: Cardiac Failure Renal Failure Early Onset Alzheimers Hearing Loss Lowered Sperm Production Miscarriage or Premature Birth in Pregnant Women. Required Landlord Disclosures   In 1996, Congress passed the Residential Lead-Based Paint Hazard Reduction Act. The purpose of the Act is to protect children from the scourge of deteriorated lead-based paint in rental housing.  Under the Act, landlords must provide certain information to tenants regarding lead paint in any rental home or apartment built prior to 1978. Prior to the time the tenant agrees to lease an apartment or rental home, the tenant’s landlord (or the landlord’s real estate agent) must: Notify the prospective tenant of any known lead-based paint in the rental home or apartment building, including any reports or records pertaining to the presence of lead-based paint paint; Provide their prospective tenant with a copy of the EPA pamphlet Protect Your Family from Lead in Your Home; and Provide a “Lead Warning Statement” as part of the lease that warns the tenant of the dangers of lead-based paint and confirms the landlord has provided the tenant all of the necessary notifications of lead-based paint in the rental unit, house, or building. If your landlord knowingly violates the Act, they are liable for three (3) times your actual damages.  The lead poisoning attorneys at Riley Ersoff & Shakhnius can help you understand and prosecute your lead poisoning claim.  What Are My Damages and My Child’s Damages If He or She Has Lead Poisoning? at Can I Recover If My Child Has Lead PoisoningIf your child was lead-poisoned by a residential landlord that knew or should have known about deteriorated lead-based paint at his or her rental property your damages and your child’s damages can be substantial.  These damages include future pain and suffering, loss of income, emotional distress, long-term medical care and long-term medical monitoring.  Although every case is different, damages for childhood lead poisoning can be in excess of $10,000,000.   Contact a Qualified Lead-Poisoning Attorney Today If you fear you or your loved one has suffered lead poisoning, you should first seek medical attention. Then you should contact a qualified attorney.  If you have suffered because your landlord failed to follow the law, you deserve financial compensation. The attorneys and staff at Riley Ersoff & Shakhnis can help.  We are aggressive, dogged, and demand justice for our clients.  We offer free consultations, and we will help you determine if you have a valid claim. Call our offices at 888-495-9272 or fill out our online form today.

Read More

Can I Get a Lead Poisoning Settlement?

| Read Time: 3 minutes

Lead poisoning can cause permanent harm in young children.  If you or your loved one has suffered lead poisoning in your rental home or apartment from deteriorated lead-based paint, you deserve financial compensation.  But what are your rights?  What can you do to protect yourself and your family?  That’s not an easy answer but the first step to obtaining answers to your questions is to call the attorneys at Riley Ersoff & Shakhnis.  We have prosecuted more lead poisoning cases than any other firm in California and work on cases throughout the state including Los Angeles, San Francisco and Oakland.  Call us, we’re here to help. How Can Do I Know If My Child Was Poisoned by Lead-Based Paint Lead poisoning is impossible to confirm without a capillary or venous blood test.  Hair sampling and other forms of so-called lead testing are inadequate, insufficient and do not hold up in court.   Lead poisoning is typically caused by deteriorated lead-based paint and lead dust in homes built prior to 1978.  If you have an older rental home or apartment with peeling, cracked, chipped or flaking paint and you believe your child was both exposed to and ingested lead-based paint or lead dust, look for the following symptoms: Learning Difficulties AHDH Oppositional Behavior In extreme cases of lead poisoning, your child can suffer from: Weight Loss Vomiting Constipation, Hearing Loss Seizures. If you believe that your child was exposed to ingested deteriorated lead-based paint, call your child’s physician and get a blood test right away.  Don’t wait!  Lead poisoning causes permanent harm.  There is no safe lead level.  Any amount of lead in a child’s blood can cause harm.   Can I Get a Lead Poisoning Settlement? If your child was the victim of lead poisoning because your landlord failed to identify and abate deteriorated lead-based paint, you can file a lawsuit and receive compensation for your injuries. Hiring an attorney who is skilled and experienced in prosecuting lead poisoning cases is the only way to ensure that you receive a full and fair settlement or jury trial. What Factors Affect the Settlement Amount? Calculating lead poisoning settlements can be difficult and time-consuming. An experienced attorney knows how to prove injuries and ensure you recover your full compensation amount.  Settlement calculations usually include the following categories: The extent of your child’s neurological harm Your pain, suffering, and emotional distress from watching your child’s deficit behavior Your child’s future pain, suffering and emotional distress In some circumstances, if your landowner or property manager willfully and intentionally neglected to inform you or another tenant of a lead problem on the premises, the judge may award punitive damages. Punitive damages are awarded to punish a defendant for egregious conduct   How Long Does a Lead Poisoning Case Take? Filing and prosecuting a lead poisoning case and receiving compensation can take anywhere from 12-24 months.  Factors that affect the time required to file and prosecute a lead poisoning case include: The time it takes to obtain and review all relevant medical records The time required to review health department records regarding the landlord and the property The time it takes to conduct neurological testing of your child.  This includes assessments by a developmental pediatrician, neuropsychologist, educational psychologist, speech pathologist and other experts The landlord’s willingness to settle The court’s schedule Although this sounds like a long time – and it is – landlords and their insurance companies do not care about you and your child.  They are going to fight the case and do everything possible to delay honoring your family’s claim.  However, through perseverance, hard work and years of experience, Riley Ersoff & Shakhnis has recovered millions of dollars for victims of lead poisoning. Contact a Qualified Lead Poisoning Attorney Today If your child has suffered lead poisoning, seek medical attention for your child immediately. The medical report you receive will help you prove your case and strengthen your argument in court. After you receive medical treatment, contact a qualified lead poisoning attorney. The team at Riley Ersoff & Shakhnis has extensive experience handling lead poisoning cases. Our dedicated team will provide you hands-on legal services and thoroughly investigate your case. We will answer your questions and help you through the process. For a free consultation, call our office at 866-548-6137 or fill out our online form today. 

Read More